Are you trying to improve your search engine rankings? If so, you may be thinking about running a search engine optimization campaign. This is usually shortened to SEO, and it is important for you to learn how to measure SEO results against your efforts. At the same time, there are numerous metrics you may want to track. How do you know which key performance indicators (KPIs) to track? Take a look at a few important KPI examples, and make sure you have a good strategy for measuring SEO success.
What Is a KPI?
First, you might be wondering, what is a KPI? This stands for key performance indicator. This is a specific metric that has a significant impact on the success or failure of your digital marketing campaign. If you target the right KPIs, you should be able to closely follow the success of your search engine optimization campaign.
For example, if you are trying to optimize your website, one important KPI could be the number of visitors you get in a given month. Of course, you also need to track the amount of revenue your business generates, but what are the important numbers that are going to dictate the success of your bottom line? It is possible the number of visitors you get could be directly tied to the performance of your digital marketing campaign. Therefore, you need to track this.
Depending on the digital marketing methods you use, your KPIs could change. Therefore, you need to know which ones you should be tracking as a part of your digital marketing efforts.
Why Do You Need To Track KPIs for SEO?
There are several key reasons why you need to track your key performance indicators as part of your search engine optimization efforts. These include:
- Your key performance indicators should be objective, so they should be relatively easy to use when measuring SEO.
- You need to figure out which of your digital marketing tactics are working and which are not.
- You need to generate milestones and benchmarks for certain digital marketing efforts.
- You need to have evidence to back up your next steps.
Ultimately, if you want to evaluate the success of your digital marketing campaign, then you need to follow your key performance indicators. That way, you can figure out what parts of your SEO campaign are working well and what parts are not.
What Are the Top SEO KPIs To Track?
There are several important key performance indicators you need to track as a part of your search engine optimization campaign. They include:
- Search Results Rankings: This is one of the most important KPIs because this will let you know how you are ranking for certain terms and phrases. You want to land as high on the search results rankings as possible.
- Organic Traffic: This is a measurement of how many people visit your website from organic search results. This will let you know if your SEO campaign is working.
- Your Links: You need to track the number of backlinks that are pointing back to your website. This will help you position your website as an authority in the field.
- Your Bounce Rate: You also need to keep an eye on your bounce rate because your bounce rate can harm your search results rankings if it gets too high. Your bounce rate is the number of people who leave your website before it finishes loading.
- Average Session Duration: Track the average amount of time people spend on your website because this indicates they are finding useful information. If people are leaving quickly, your website may not have as much helpful information as you think.
There are just a few of the most important metrics you need to track. This could have a significant impact on the success of your marketing campaign.
What Do You Do with Search Engine KPI Information?
So, what do you need to do with this information? A few important points include:
- You should take a look at trends over time to see if they are moving in the right direction or wrong direction.
- If something is working well for you, you may want to put more resources towards that area.
- If you are not getting any benefit out of certain marketing efforts, you may want to scrap them entirely.
You should work with experts who can help you use this information appropriately.
Ultimately, finding a relevant KPI metric for SEO to track is important because this is going to play a critical role in your ability to evaluate the quality of your SEO campaign. Keep in mind that something that is working well today may not necessarily work well several months from now. The importance of keywords can change over time, and you need to make sure you are targeting the right words and phrases. You also need to make sure you stay on top of your search results ranking, as they can rise and fall.
Remember that you do not necessarily have to do all of this on your own. If you would like to get the most out of your digital marketing campaign, you may want to work with a professional team that can help you. That way, you can focus on other areas of your business while allowing an seo reseller to help you maximize the results of your digital marketing efforts.