The internet offers a world of opportunities for work and play. Many companies and individuals are finding ways to earn an income from the internet by setting up online stores.
Services such as Shopify make starting an internet business easy. However, that alone is not enough. E-commerce sites need to make sales to make a profit.
With so many online retailers ranging from small family businesses to mega-corporate retailers such as Amazon selling goods, making a profit from a new online store or boosting a flagging site may seem difficult if not impossible.
There are actionable steps, though, you can take now. Here are six ways to maximize your e-commerce site and increase sales.
1. Consider the Long Term
While you are interested in increasing online sales now, you should also think of building a reputation as an honest seller that provides excellent customer service.
People want to feel they are valued. If they do not perceive respect from you as a seller, they will simply go elsewhere. There are several ways to build a solid reputation.
- Always be honest in your online content.
- Respond courteously and promptly to customer questions, comments, and complaints on your website or social media pages.
- Prominently display customer testimonials. People like social proof, and hearing about another’s positive experience can help them decide to purchase from you.
Establishing yourself as a trustworthy retailer through a believable digital marketing strategy can help you boost sales now and later.
2. Invest in Paid Traffic
You may have an idea of paid traffic being expensive, but it can be affordable when done correctly, and it is an effective way to quickly boost conversion rates.
One of the keys to success with paid traffic is starting small. Digital marketing experts suggest paying no more than $50 initially.
You also need the right mindset. You will have to experiment to determine which advertisements earn the most sales. Therefore, consider each ad a test.
Experts recommend buying in small quantities that target customers in slightly different groups and post advertisements on various social media outlets.
Social platforms such as Instagram and Facebook are valuable venues for reaching potential customers.
3. Make Your Checkout Process Easy
One of the most important ways to give potential buyers a great user experience and boost sales is to reduce potential problems on your checkout page.
Business Insider found buyers abandoned $4 trillion worth of merchandise in shopping carts in 2018.
This is an eye-opening statistic that shows the importance of a clean, secure, and easy checkout process.
- Eliminate unnecessary fields on forms.
- Do not time consumers out and make them start again.
- Do away with excess steps that could discourage people from completing their purchase.
Today’s consumers appreciate a quick, easy purchasing process, and this is something you can provide now.
4. Make Your Website Easy to Navigate
A user-friendly website is part of a marketing strategy geared toward consumers that can boost conversion rates.
- Offer fewer choices to prevent customers from feeling overwhelmed.
- Structure product pages in highly specific categories to help visitors find items.
- Include relevant links on your landing pages, and periodically ensure they are working. For mobile ads, consider call-only ads and eliminate landing pages altogether.
If potential buyers find your website confusing or annoying, they will likely click away.
5. Sell Your Buyers on Complementary Products
Commonly called cross-selling, encouraging customers to buy related items or services is an efficient way to boost online sales quickly.
Amazon consistently practices selling complimentary items or services such as assembly or insurance to people already buying something with its “frequently bought together” options on each item.
Other good examples are skincare companies that offer discounts on products such as facial toner to customers already buying cleansers and moisturizers.
6. Ask People to Buy and Make Them Feel an Urgency to Purchase
Always include a call to action encouraging people to buy. You can also offer incentives to create a sense of urgency that encourages would-be customers to make a purchase.
Sell limited-edition products, for example, or offer discounts or free shipping for a limited time.
Even though today’s crowded internet means all e-commerce sites face competition, specific strategies can help you boost sales and create loyal customers who trust you.
From the tone of your online content to the design of your website, keeping your users in mind along with your business goals can help you boost conversion rates today and keep sales going strong for years to come.
Written by Vazoola